In a world where appearances count, a healthy-looking tan is an essential part of a positive self-image for many people. The desire to not only look good, but to feel good about your appearance has created the basis for the $8 billion-per-year indoor tanning industry. Thought to be a business targeting teenage girls, the core customer of the industry is made up of women 30 plus with a 25% male demographic make-up.
With a 25-year track of success, we’ve listened and learned what our members want. Our founders developed the idea of tanning superstores, salons consisting of large retail spaces, located in class A shopping centers, with 20-25 tanning beds. With this approach, Palm Beach Tan made the strategic decision to create clean, sophisticated store environments offering multiple levels of the most technologically advanced sunbed tanning equipment in the world, along with Mystic Tan® Spray Tanning Systems and the Versa Spa Professional Skin Care Systems.
Our well-trained, professional staff guides customers to make the right choices to achieve the perfect color by learning their specific tanning goals, recommending the appropriate tanning program for their skin type, and by introducing them to our “golden rules of tanning”. Palm Beach Tan offers customers the convenience of monthly sunbed or spray tanning memberships with no contracts or commitments. Backed with our industry exclusive fully automated tanning rewards program, all of our memberships reward member loyalty with free upgrades, discounts, cash credits and more.
In 2003, Donald Zale, former President & CEO of Zales Jewelers, bought Palm Beach Tan’s first franchise. His well-known business philosophy: do whatever it takes to attract and retain customers. A lucrative, high-margin business, the current indoor tanning industry is comparable to the independently run, single-unit operators of video rental stores two decades ago. "The top five tanning chains in the country have only 5% of the market, leaving 95% as independently owned salons," said Diane Lucas, a former BLOCKBUSTER executive and Palm Beach Tan’s President and COO. "There is phenomenal consolidation opportunity in the indoor tanning segment, and we continue to offer independent salon owners and quality regional chains the advantages of the most well-operated brand in the industry when they choose to convert their salons to Palm Beach Tan."
Powerful Brand Recognition
The Palm Beach Tan brand has a corporate reputation for high quality salons featuring state-of-the-art equipment and friendly and knowledgeable staff, all at an exceptional value. This combination creates an extraordinary tanning experience for thousands of happy customers who keep coming back. Your new salon will be marketed with materials that promote the Palm Beach Tan brand. Every time a new and successful Palm Beach Tan franchise is launched, all franchisees benefit from the increased brand recognition and excitement generated by the continuing growth of the company.
Automated Internal Systems
Palm Beach Tan is pioneering the use of information technology in the tanning industry to streamline operations and control costs. We use a specialized industry software system to provide automated billing, inventory management, equipment control and management tracking capabilities. With routine processes and procedures automated, managers and staff have more time to interact with the customers and market additional products and services.
Our advanced information systems allow Palm Beach Tan to track membership data, tanning activity, sales information and seasonal fluctuations in a timely fashion. We also use this information to develop marketing programs that optimize revenue and minimize seasonal fluctuations.
Unsurpassed Marketing Expertise
Our professional and unique approach to marketing the brand through comprehensive traffic-driving strategies and tactics is one of the key parts of our explosive growth and successful business model. From radio and television advertising, to ongoing direct mailings, internet marketing and trade-area specific marketing tactics, our brand-building efforts make the Palm Beach Tan name – and your salon – synonymous with indoor tanning. In the Palm Beach Tan marketing profile, the sum of the parts makes up the whole. We ensure that every location employs compelling tactical elements that drive new customer traffic to your location while maintaining the integrity of the brand. In addition, in January 2007 Palm Beach Tan introduced Palm Beach Tan Premier, the industry’s first fully automated, professionally designed customer loyalty program. Premier members earn rewards and benefits at certain milestones of their membership. Each level of membership rewards different benefits. The longer they stay a member, the more rewards they earn.
Group Purchasing Power
As part of one of the largest and fastest growing tanning brand families in the country, Palm Beach Tan franchisees enjoy vendor pricing and continuous vendor support that is unparalleled in the industry. Palm Beach Tan is proud to feature state-of-the-art tanning equipment from the world’s most technologically advanced manufacturers. To help you offer the ultimate tanning experience to your customers, Palm Beach Tan continually strives to secure discounted pricing on the finest equipment.
corporate staff regularly research and test equipment from many suppliers ensuring that our customers not only have the state-of- the-art choices in equipment, but our franchisees receive the most competitive pricing possible based on our combined purchasing power. In addition, we leverage our group purchasing power to obtain discounts on lotions and related products, tanning lamps, printing, media, insurance and more, covering virtually everything you will need to open and operate your tanning salon.
Experienced Franchise Staff
Our franchise support staff has over 40 years combined experience in multi-unit retail operations in many successful brands. This collection of industry experts offers continuous support to help you maximize your business opportunities year after year. We have developed management tools that create a structured approach to staffing, marketing, servicing and managing your business. You benefit from our experience in evaluating, implementing and continually refining a highly successful business model. We offer routine performance evaluations of your salon through monthly operations calls as well as periodic on-site visits so that you and your team can continue to maximize your potential. This ongoing consultation and support is designed to help you make the most of your business opportunities.
Every Step of the Way
We’re with you throughout your Palm Beach Tan career. From selecting your site, to training you and your employees, to your Grand Opening and beyond, our franchise support staff are there to offer guidance, answer questions, give advice and make suggestions to help create and sustain a professional and sound investment. Along the way, we’ll help you with the following.
Selecting the Site
Our franchise support staff will advise you on one of your most important decisions – where your salon will be located. Throughout that process we will help you with the following:
- Assist you with identifying locations that fit the proven profile of other successful Palm Beach Tan retail outlets. This includes providing you with a demographic comparison study analyzing population density, average household income, disposable income and many other demographic specifics.
- Provide competitive market analysis for your proposed trade areas that not only assists you with the placement of new Palm Beach Tan locations, but also serves to isolate existing salon acquisition opportunities.
Building Your Own Salon
Our franchise support staff will help you prepare your salon for opening day by:
- Guiding you through the design and construction process.
- Providing you access to our proven team of Palm Beach Tan vendors including; architects, contractors, construction consultants, electrical and HVAC experts and more. These vendors’ experience with Palm Beach Tan may result in substantial build-out savings including a quicker timeline to opening your salon. Throughout the process nothing is left to chance. Our team-approach ensures that you’ll get all the support you need.
- Assisting you with your purchases of everything from our approved point-of-sale systems and operating software, to our state-of-the-art sunbed and sunless tanning equipment, insurance, phone systems, and full line of professional tanning and skin products and accessories.
- Sharing our nationwide list of suppliers so you can equip your salon with the highest quality products and equipment at negotiated rates.
- Providing you with an online opening rollout checklist that will guide you through the construction and pre-opening phase of your project in a timely and efficient manner. In addition to this resource, our staff will be right there with you at every step to make sure your construction process is rewarding, educational and free of headaches and cost overruns.
Our state-of-the-art equipment is a major component to the success of Palm Beach Tan. To help you with this critical aspect of the business we provide you with the following:
- Assistance in designing the proper tanning bed mix for your particular salon.
- Introductions to leasing and financing companies well-suited for your financial needs.
- Pre-negotiated group discounts on tanning beds and lamps via our supply network.