The Anchor Bar created The Original Buffalo Wing in 1964 and now over 50 years later serves more than 70,000 pounds of Buffalo chicken wings per month. The Anchor Bar is a landmark in Buffalo and a destination for Buffalo visitors every year. Their bottled wing sauce now retails in over 5,000 supermarkets worldwide. With several locations in the Buffalo area and more under development outside of New York, Anchor Bar is well positioned to expand through franchising.
Franchisees opening a traditional location will need 4,500 to 6,000 plus square feet of space, will receive a protected territory and can open multiple locations if qualified. While restaurant experience is helpful it is not required as the training and ongoing support is very comprehensive.
- Anchor Bar has been serving “the original wing” since 1964.
- Well-known brand throughout the country.
- While most markets have establishments featuring Buffalo wings, none of them can lay claim to inventing the wing
- Anchor Bar express ships thousands of pounds of their special wings around the world.
- Diverse location possibilities…traditional, outdoor mall, airport, QSR, etc.
- Comprehensive training program takes franchisee through all phases of operations.
- Marketing and real estate team in place to assist franchisees.
- 2016 US restaurant industry sales are projected at $782.7 billion – a record high and 4.7% increase from 2015 (National Restaurant Association Industry Forecast).
- Exposure through supermarket sales of wing sauce.
- Anchor Bar has been featured on Food Network, Travel Channel and numerous others
- Site selection support through national commercial broker network
- Lease negotiation support
- Detailed operations manual and recipe manuals
Anchor Bar Recognition and Awards
Of the many distinctive Awards earned by the Anchor Bar, two of the most noteworthy were bestowed in 2003.
In April 2003, the Anchor Bar was given the “James Beard Foundation Award.” This is given to restaurants “that have timeless appeal, beloved for quality food that reflect the history and character of the community. It is for an American classic.”
In May 2003, the Anchor Bar received the “Quality International Award” for its sauces. Presented with the prestigious gold medal, the Anchor Bar was judged the “Best of the Best” in a contest in which more then 1,000 sauces were entered. The judges were from the American Culinary and Tasting Institute.
In early 2008, Anchor Bar Suicidal sauce wins “A Scovie Award” for their hot sauce through the International Fiery foods show in Albuquerque New Mexico.
Best Wing awards in several areas such as Buffalo, Burlington, Las Vegas, NYS, Erie Country.
Numerous Awards for Best Sauce at festivals and food shows across the country
In 1977, Stanley M. Makowski, Mayor of the city of Buffalo, proclaimed July 29 “Chicken Wing Day” in recognition of Frank and Teressa.